How to Registration as a Psychologist in Australia?

Psychology is a regulated profession, like medicine, psychiatry and law. And in Australia psychologist is also a popular occupation which could lead you to go to Permanent Resident.

To call yourself a psychologist and to practise as one, you need to register with the Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA), which is part of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), formed in July 2010.

Becoming a psychologist begins when you are a student. Students must select their study pathway very carefully.

Study pathways

There is more than one way to become a psychologist and although significant study is required, the rewards are worth it.

A minimum six-year sequence of education and training in psychology is required to become eligible for general registration as a psychologist in Australia.

This six-year sequence can be broken down into three steps:

Step 1: Complete an APAC accredited three year undergraduate psychology sequence

If you have an undergraduate degree in a different discipline, you can do a 3-year bridging program (12-18 months duration) to then enable you to apply for entry to an accredited 4th year program.

Step 2: Complete an APAC accredited 4th year such as, an Honours year or a 4th year equivalent Graduate Diploma in Psychology

This is one year in duration in full-time capacity.

Note: some institutions offer years 1-4 in one degree which is a four year psychology sequence.

Step 3:  At the end of 4th year you have a choice of pathway:

  • 4+2 pathway: complete two years of supervision as a provisionally registered psychologist.
  • 5+1 pathway: complete a fifth year of study (Master of Professional Psychology) as a provisionally registered psychologist; year five is completed at an education provider, followed by one year of supervision.
  • 5th and 6th (plus) year pathway: complete an APAC accredited Masters (or Doctorate) as a provisionally registered psychologist in an area of specialised study (Clinical, Community, Counselling, Health, Forensic, Sport and Exercise, Educational and Developmental, Organisational, Clinical Neuropsychology). After completion of the specialised postgraduate degree, the newly registered psychologist must be supervised by a PsyBA-approved supervisor in their area of endorsement, for a specified period of time. This is a two year period with masters, one year with a doctorate, and 18 months with a combined Masters/PhD.

After completing the 5th and 6th (plus) year pathway and subsequently gaining General Registration plus Area of Practice Endorsement from the PsyBA, completing a professional level bridging program may be an option.  The Graduate Certificate or Diploma in Psychology (GCP or GDP) offers additional education and training for a psychologist who is already eligible for membership of an APS College and has completed an accredited professional postgraduate coursework degree to accumulate coursework and study which might assist when applying for membership of another APS College, or for other professional purposes. The program is a minimum of one year part-time.

You may have these question:

  • Did I chose the right course to study?
  • Can I work in psychology with less than 6 years of study?
  • How to do the registration?
  • Can I do the on-line program?
  • What the English requirement for the course?
  • Should I become a Psychologist?
  • How is the pathway for me in the future?

If this is what you are wondering or you actually have more questions, please consult with our experienced specialists. Australian education system and migration Law is more than complicated, you need an expert to sure you are under safe processing and lead you the pathway to your Permanent Residence.

We are here to help you!

Kate Lee
Qualified Education Agent – #E086

Kate migrated to Australia in 2007, going on to become a qualified education counsellor in 2009. Throughout her career, she has helped hundreds of international students achieve their academic dreams in universities across Australia. Kate helps her clients successfully complete their school enrollments and student visa applications. For clients outside Australia, she is always available for regular contact through Skype or Facebook.

Take the first step to get an Australian Visa

Book a Consultation Today

We’re Here to Help You

With expert counsellors at the ready, our team can answer any questions about immigration and visas that you have.