Only Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia. If you are still on permanent residents Visa, Normally, you can use your permanent resident visa to travel abroad and return to Australia for up to five years from the date the visa was granted. After five years, permanent resident must obtain a Five Year Resident Return visa in order to re-enter the country.
1. who will need this visa?
If you leave Australia after your travel validity expires, or it expires when you are outside Australia, you will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident. This visa allows you to return as a permanent resident.
If you are already in Australia as a permanent resident, you do not need to apply for this visa if you do not wish to travel.
AUD375 for each applicant if you apply online
AUD455 for each applicant if you apply on paper
While it is unlikely for this visa, you might have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
Travel validity will vary depending in your circumstances:
3. How long this visa lasts
- If you have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years as a permanent resident, former citizen or former permanent resident, then you meet what is known as the residence requirement and might be given a 5 year travel validity on your visa.
- If you have not lived in Australia for 2 years in the last 5 years as a permanent resident or former citizen or former permanent resident, then you might be given a maximum of 12 months travel validity on your visa if you can demonstrate substantial ties that benefit Australia. Check the substantial ties documents that you need to provide under Step by step, Gather your documents.
- If you meet the requirements only because you are a member of family unit of a person who holds this visa, then you can only be given a maximum of 12 months travel validity on your visa.
- If you don’t meet the requirement, but have compelling and compassionate reasons for departure, then you might only be given 3 months travel validity on your visa.
If you return to Australia without a permanent visa and a valid travel facility (for example, a visitor visa), this might impact your:
- entitlements as a permanent resident
- ability to satisfy the permanent residence requirements when applying for Australian citizenship or another Resident Return visa.
If your travel validity has expired and you do not wish to travel, you do not need to apply for a Resident Return visa.
Click below to know more :
Australia’s immigration law and visa system are very complicated. Any small mistake can waste your precious time and money, and may even lead to more serious refusal consequences. If you want to know the specific requirements of this visa, please contact our experienced immigration agent to help you.
Paul Taekhwan Kwon
Paul migrated to Australia in 1999 as an international student. After completing his IT degree at the Queensland University of Technology in 2003, he began his career as an education consultant, going on to become a registered migration agent in 2007. His professional experience covers a range of visa areas, including business sponsorship, skilled migration, partner, parent and student visas.
You may also interested with below:
- The Migration Queensland Skilled Program is OPEN for the 2023 – 24 program year
- Closure of the Pandemic Event visa (408 Visa)
- To apply for a PR Visa as an Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teacher (ANZCO 241111)
- 2023 – 24 skilled and business nomination quota for Queensland
- Updated Visa Processing time