Yesterday the Australian Government has made a series of announcements to reassure current and future international students regarding study plans. We welcome these announcements as a very positive signal from the Government on the importance of international students.
- Government to recommence granting student visas to new students offshore: This means when borders will re-open, students will already have visas and they will be able to make arrangements to travel.
- Free-of-charge visa application: International students will be able to lodge a further student visa application free of charge if they are unable to complete their studies within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
- Online study will be counted towards requirement for post-study work visa: Current student visa holders studying online outside Australia due to COVID-19 will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a post-study work visa.
- Post-study work rights: Graduates who held a student visa will be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa outside Australia if they are unable to return due to COVID-19.
- Additional time for providing English language test results: Additional time will be given for applicants to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services.
We have attached the official announcement for your information.
We are awaiting further details of implementation and will pass on further information as it becomes available over the days ahead. In the meantime, if you have any queries, please do contact us at +61 7 5532 2688 or e-mail .